So for those of you that have been on the dieting band wagon, we all know that weighing our food is crucial to determine our caloric intake. Sometimes, we don’t have a scale.
We have simple tools that we have with us at all times that will help us stay within our portion sizes!
- Measure fat with your thumb
- a whole table spoon will be roughly around the size of your thumb
- measure a tea spoon to from the end of your thumb to the joint
- Measure meat with your palm
- Think of a hockey puck – that’s about 4 ounces of meat
- Measure veggies with fists
- This will be roughly 1 cup
- 2 cupped hands will be a serving of pretzels or oyster crackers
- This does not mean an overflowing cup! Remember you’re only cheating yourself!!
- Measure grains with fists too
- This will end up being close to a half cup of grains
- The count method
- Typically you can count out the amount that you ate and find it in your tracking app and put the amount in there. Technology, a love hate relationship!